Monday 13 January 2014

Short Review of the first episode of Tomorrow People

Tomorrow People is a US remake of the popular TV series that was made in the UK and aired between 1973-1979, it's about a group of teenagers who have special powers, which include telepathic abilities and teleportation. I have not seen the original series, so I cant say at this point as to whether they have more abilities, but I know it's going to get interesting. 

The first episode aired in the UK last week, I watched it live at 10pm on E4 - my only huge issue with the show, is that the main character, Stephen, is played by Robbie Amell, who is 25 - and who looks 25. This isn't good when he's playing a character around 18 years old. He's a good actor and he does play the part well, but I cant stop seeing him as an adult, because he's playing a teenager.

The first episode was a good series debut,it was gripping and it kept your attention, but at the same time I think it gave away too much. The leader of the big bad guys of the series is Stephens uncle, his father is a possibly dead leader of the rebellious 'Tomorrow People' and Stephen goes to work for his uncle in the big bad company to find out about his father whilst being a double agent for the Tomorrow People - communicating with them though telepathy.

The episode seemed a bit too full for my liking, they basically gave you the entire back story of Stephen squeezed into a 40 minute episode, whilst trying to explain two different organizations.

I'm going to continue to watch this series, but if each episode is as cluttered as the first, I'm not sure I'll be able to keep with it. Also unless Robbie Amell astounds me with his acting, I don't think I'm going to be able to get past his so obvious not 18-ness.

As I said, short review, not really much of a review, but it shows my opinions on the episode. I give it a 7/10 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment